spacer
main

Result of my blood test and iron supplement

Last week my gynae drew some blood from me to do a blood test(a.k.a Full Blood Count/FCB) for me. Yesterday it came back with a 12.9, showing there is enough haemoglobin in my blood. The reference range is betweeen 11.5-16.5.

*Pregnant haemoglobin level is:10.5 to 15.0 gm% (105 -150 g/L)
*Non-Pregnant haemoglobin level is:11.5 to 16.0 gm% (115 -160 g/L)
(The aboves are taken from www.birth.com.au)

Actually it dropped a little from 13.2, another blood test result I had in May this year, when I was 16 week pregnant.

I have low blood and been constantly on iron and folic acid supplement. But since I pregnant with baby I stopped but few months ago I had to start back in those supplements on alternate days basis as I was experiencing short blackout and dizziness when I stood up from a squatting or sitting position. And my condition has since improved.

One of the reasons why we need to maintain our haemoglobin count in our blood during pregnancy is to prevent weakness and low birth weight of the baby. Haemoglobin's function as a protein which carries oxygen to the various parts of our body. If the count is low, it means less intake of oxygen for both mother and baby and possible blood loss during birth.

Here's a good article for pregnant mommies or ladies with anaemic problem to refer.
"Iron and iron supplements"(from www.birth.com.au)

Frankly if my gynae didn't take my blood for the test I won't look into the matter at all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment
 
© Dolphinitis.blogspot.com 2007-2008. All Right Reserved.
Template designed by dolphine*海豚*. Best view: 1024 x 768 @ Firefox.
web tracker