spacer
main

Calcium intake during pregnancy

During pregnancy, I'd experienced twice very bad cramps on my feet during my final trimester. One of the times was when I was shopping in One U with my sis. We were walking and chatting happily and suddenly my feet cramped. It was so bad I couldn't continue walking. I had to find a place to sit down to rest my feet. We sat for about 20-25 minutes, only after that I could walk a little. And luckily I was with my sis.

As for this pregnancy, when I entered my second trimester, I had experienced some aching in my body and mild cramp in my feet. Since then my GP advise me to increase my calcium intake from 550mg daily to 1000mg together with my daily milk intake. My cramps and aches have since reduced.

My friend, who just gave birth to a baby boy two ago, was also taking the same amount of calcium. She took 2 tablets of 600mg calcium everyday. Some said the calcium supplement is the one with Vitamin D to help the calcium absorption.

There are studies show that pregnant women who supplement with calcium have a reduced chances of high blood pressure and preeclampsia. (taken from "iVillage's Calcium supplements during pregnancy")

But be sure you consult my doctor first before increasing your daily calcium intake. As excessive calcium has side effects like lack of appetite, interference with magnesium absorption and so on.

Other related articles:
- Why am I having leg cramps during pregnancy? (from babycenter.com)

0 comments:

Post a Comment
 
© Dolphinitis.blogspot.com 2007-2008. All Right Reserved.
Template designed by dolphine*海豚*. Best view: 1024 x 768 @ Firefox.
web tracker