spacer
main

Post-partum Hair Loss

Recently I have noticed that I have a drastic increase in hair loss. And it's scary and distressing to find myself pulling out a large clump of hair after every hair washing or collecting tumbleweeds of hair on my bed or the floor, at times on my shirt. It makes wonder if I'm going to be bald.

And the one day when I looked in the mirror, I have even noticed that there is a my fringe is thinning. Eeek. Will I be bald? I couldn't help myself wondering every time I comb or wash my hair. Btw, I don't remember having this when I had Natalie, or at least not to scary and obvious.

Hopefully no, as I went and googled for some answers. I found that hair loss is not uncommon after pregnancy. It is because the hormonal change in our body.

Did you ever notice that your hair rarely shed during pregnancy? I did. My hair rarely shed. In fact it became thicker. Well, this because our estrogen level increases during pregnancy and this "...causes our hair to remain in the growing phase and stimulates the growth of your hair."(taken from americanpregnancy.org) It means that we tend to be thicker and fuller head of hair during pregnancy.

This is one thing I actually love about pregnancy. So that I don't need to pick up shed hair.

And thank God this hair dropping period is not permanent. Normally it will only last for 6 to 12 months before hair loss returns to normal.

Well, I hope this hair loss phenomenon will end soon as I'm so sick seeing shed hair everywhere and picking them up. Meanwhile resume my one a day dose of vitamin B complex and eat more fruit and veges to ensure I get enough of "...flavonoids and antioxidants that may provide protection for the hair follicles and encourage hair growth."(taken from americanpregnancy.org)

For more ways to reduce hair loss after pregnancy, can refer to Pregnancy and Hair Loss (americanpregnancy.org)

0 comments:

Post a Comment
 
© Dolphinitis.blogspot.com 2007-2008. All Right Reserved.
Template designed by dolphine*海豚*. Best view: 1024 x 768 @ Firefox.
web tracker